The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Many mental health specialists can help magnetic couples

Apr 23, 2011

Hi, Dr. Bob,

Absolutely love your column. Great answer to "Magnetic Couple--overflowing love but so much stress." I know that you are aware from previous answers that many licensed mental health specialists--psychologists, social workers, psychiatric nurses--besides psychiatrists are available to people with HIV. But, you suggested only that this writer see a psychiatrist for what is in this case a nonmedical problem--irrational fear of infection even through protected heterosexual intercourse. Given the limited numbers of psychiatrists, their contemporary trainiing that emphasizes pharmacological approaches rather than talking therapies or a combination, and the often prohibitive cost of seeing a psychiatrist rather than one of the more affordable alternatives among other licensed mental health specialists, it might useful to use the term "licensed mental health professional" when prescription medications are not indicated. Thanks for all your great work, compassion, and humor!

Response from Dr. Frascino


Point well taken. I guess typing "psychiatrist" was just quicker than "HIV-knowledgable licensed mental health professional." I promise to be more inclusive in my subsequent responses. Although many of the totally looney tunes fluffernutters (does that terminology have a DMS-IV code?) who write into this forum probably need both pharmacologic intervening and psychotherapeutic counseling!

Dr. Bob

testing question
Desperately need your help!!!

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint