Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Just to say thank you... Muchas, muchas gracias...
Apr 22, 2011

Dear Doctor,

I wanted to say thank you, muchas gracias, for your work and patience to answer all the questions, specially those that might sound stupid for many but for the one asking is quite serious. I hope in the next year a country like mine could have Doctors like you not only in the hiv area but also in many others that requires not only knowledge but also love and passion..

Maybe you wont remember me, I wrote you two questions "Worried ecuadorian Dad" and Worried ecuadorian Dad 2". I havent got any direct answer but somehow I feel I already had the answers. Looking for similar questions as mine, and searching the archives for "worried dad" I realized that there are many fathers who as me worried about their kids. They as I did and somehow Im still doing (but controlling myself trying to be rational)started to imagine scenarios that are not real. Most of us need to read the expert answer just to confirm a personal answer that is OK but still needs the expert opinion.

My questions were stupid I guess and after thinking and thinking I realized that in a normal situation, without knowing the hiv status of a person (in my case the gardener) I wont even imagine any risky scenario. If you didnt read the question, it was about a gardener who worked on my wife parents house, he was diagnosed with HIV on August 2010 and as my daughter, once a week spends the morning or afternoon at my wife parents house, I was wondering, what if she got pricked herself with a plant thorn, right after the gardener pricked himeself with the same plant and thorn (there are many plants with thorns at that small garden). My 4 years old daughter love to pick and small flowers and that is part of my fears, not the fact of picking and smellung a flower but of pricking with the thorn. All this situation sounds really stupid doesnt it? Well my fears started to grow when I put this situation together with the fact that my daughter was on hospital on May 2010 for vomitting (8 times in 2 or 3 hours, no diarrea or other symptoms).

Doctors gave her antibiotic (after blood tests) but they couldnt determine where the infection was (urinary test was done after a day or so and after 1 or 2 dosis of atibiotic). After 1 day my daughter was ok, no vomitting, no fever, doctors asked us toleave her at the hospital to finish antibiotic treatment and rehydratation but my little girl was ok. This nightmare started a friday, on saturday she was ok but left hospital very hungry on monday morning. Well, the thing isthat after knowing the gardener hiv status my mind says: "could my daughters illness on May 2010 be ARS symptoms"...and fear started to grow... Well, thats my story, stupid as the gardener and plant thorn prick at the same time is not real,is a situation i think could have happened,but as a protective father I just wanted to be sure sure sure, very sure...

Still feel I need your answer to close this chapter of my life, it will be really appreciated but just if it is ok with you.

I wish all the best to you Doctor Bob. Take care.

Muchas gracias por su grandiosa labor...

Worried ecuadorian Dad (not as worried as weeks before :)

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Worried Ecuadorian Dad,

Thanks for your thanks!

I'm delighted you found the information and reassurance you needed in the archives of this forum. You are correct: I didn't respond to your question, because there are many similar questions in the archives and your daughter's HIV-acquisition risk is nonexistent! HIV doesn't live very long outside the body.

Your daughter's recent illness is not suggestive of HIV acute retroviral syndrome.

I strongly encourage you to proceed with your plan to close this chapter of your life.

Be well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Scared of late seroconversion
Next
Oral Sex with a Condom

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.