Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Coming out of closet, but need help, HIV risk! Will make donation.
Apr 22, 2011

Hi Dr. Bob,

This was my first non-heterosexual experience and I don;t want it to be my last, but I'm scared.

I wrote to you a few days a go, but I know how many questions you must get asked. Please, I'm begging just for a moment of your time.

I had an experience with a transsexual (with penis) sex worker in Asia.

I performed oral sex on the penis(I'm almost certain protected, but can we assume unprotected for argument's sake?)for only a few seconds, with no ejaculation, and I was lightly fingered anally (not much penetration, but I did have an anal fissure). I also had a sore throat w tiny bit of blood in mucus and a week old burn in roof of my mouth (does this affect risk?)

I had three HIV DUOS at 4 weeks, 6.5 weeks, and 13.5 weeks - all NEGATIVE.

My concerns are: 1) Was there any risk of HIV or Hep C from these activities? I saw no blood on her/him, but what if the transexual had genetic material on his/her fingers when s/he fingered me? Any risk there?

2) Can Hep C really delay seroconversion past 3 months? Am I at risk of delayed seroconversion realistacally in this situation? I saw no blood or semen.

3) DO you think my results are definitive?

Thank you. God bless. I am more than happy to make a donation whether you have time to answer or not.

Sincerely, Very Worried

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Very Worried,

1. No risk.

2. See link to post below regarding hepatitis C. You are not at risk for delayed seroconversion.

3. Yes.

Thanks for your support of The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). It's warmly appreciated.

Your extreme worry about being HIV infected is most likely related to guilt. Obsessing about HIV is easier than dealing with more difficult issues, like sexual orientation. I would suggest you seek counseling to help with your coming out process, to address your irrational fears of HIV, and to treat your anxiety. Things can and will get better. Sex is supposed to be (and can be) fun, not anxiety provoking!

Continue to play safe and you'll stay safe, OK?

Good luck. Be well. WOO-HOO!

Dr. Bob

http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/SafeSex/Q213652.html

Previous
Severe Hypochondria on HIV/aids and ashamed of past mistake
Next
Scared of late seroconversion

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.