Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Proability of being HIV with a transexual
Apr 22, 2011

Dear Dr,

I recently had an unpleasent experience with a transexual( i am male) in Bangkok who i dont believe is a sex worker. I was drunk at the time which made me come to making a poor decision.

Anyway I had anal sex (Top & Penetrative) for about 5 minutes and the condom broke i think towards the end of our sex and i came inside her. After the condom broke i asked her seriously if she was clean and HIV free to which she replied she gets tested every 6 months and her last check up about 12 weeks ago was clean.

I didnt think too much more about this until after 10 days post exposure i developed a throat infection with a mild fever and swolen lymph glands which lasted less than 24 hours. I am quite a sexually active person and frequently get tested for HIV at least 3 times per year.

I plan to get tested at 15 days (i know this test is perhaps only a 50% chance if i am infected of being detected) as it will help with my anxiety and then 25 days and 3 months.

I guess my question is based on the inforamtion above, i know there is a risk but would like to know how much of one.

Thanks in advance for your advice,

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

The risk of broken-condom sex is the same as the risk of unprotected sex. The CDC's statistical per-act estimate for acquiring HIV from insertive anal sex with a partner confirmed to be HIV positive is 6.5 per 10,000 exposures. Your estimated risk would be less, as we do not know the HIV status of your transexual partner. I agree testing before the three-month mark will not provide a conclusive HIV-antibody test result.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Oral SEX, Cunnilingus I posted the several time the same question?
Next
Insertive Oral Clarification

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.