Want to have a chil.

Hi I am 33 yrs old woman. I got infected a year ago and immidiately started on medication. Now its been almost a year and I havent missed a single day of medication. My Viral load had dropped to 60 copies since March, and my CD4 Is 633. My partner and I want to have a child. He is HIV negative, and we always have protected sex. Will I be infecting him when I begin to have unprotected sex once my VL drops to below 20 copies? How safe is it for my child? Will I be infecting the baby by any given chance? Is it true I cannot breast feed my baby ever? How long can I continue having unprotected sex with my partner? I dont intend stopping my medication. My doctor says the combination I am on, is going well with my body. I wanted to start trying for a child this June. Looking forward for some help

The safest way to conceive a child considering your positive HIV status and an HIV-negative partner is by utilizing in vivo artificial insemination techniques. This presents zero risk to your negative partner. Unprotected sex, even if you had an undetectable viral load, would still put your partner at some degree of risk for becoming infected.

If you work closely with your HIV specialist and an HIV-knowledgable obstetrician, your chances of having an HIV-negative baby are excellent. HIV positive moms should definitely avoid breastfeeding, as it is a significant HIV-transmissions risk to HIV-negative newborns.

Review the information in the chapter devoted to pregnancy in the archives of this forum. I've discussed these issues at length many times in the past.

Daily anxiety - with Xanax
Needle HIV