Oral Sex w/postive lover

Hello Dr. Frascino, I appreciate all of your articles and the work that you guys do. They have helped me greatly dealing with the fact that my boyfriend is HIV postive. The only issue that I am facing now is the oral sex part. I understand that the unprotected oral sex is a low risk for transmission however, what if my boyfriend does not precum and has no cuts,wounds, or ejaculates into my mouth? What is my risk then? Also, he tells me that it is undetectable and his levels are good. He also takes his medication religiously. Bottom line, what is my risk when anal is protected but oral is not?

You are correct: unprotected oral sex does carry only a low risk for HIV transmission. If the positive partner is on effective antiretroviral therapy that drives the HIV plasma viral load to undetectable levels, the risk of any type of HIV transmission is significantly decreased, but not completely eliminated. Likewise not ejaculating in the mouth and not coming into contact with pre-cum would decrease but not eliminate HIV-transmission risk. You can review additional information on this topic in the archives of this forum. I'll post below a link to a sample of what can be found in the archives.

Good luck. Stay safe. Stay well.

http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/SafeSex/Q214367.html

hiv and cortisone
Disclosure Question, Need Advice