Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Oral Sex w/postive lover
Apr 17, 2011

Hello Dr. Frascino, I appreciate all of your articles and the work that you guys do. They have helped me greatly dealing with the fact that my boyfriend is HIV postive. The only issue that I am facing now is the oral sex part. I understand that the unprotected oral sex is a low risk for transmission however, what if my boyfriend does not precum and has no cuts,wounds, or ejaculates into my mouth? What is my risk then? Also, he tells me that it is undetectable and his levels are good. He also takes his medication religiously. Bottom line, what is my risk when anal is protected but oral is not?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

You are correct: unprotected oral sex does carry only a low risk for HIV transmission. If the positive partner is on effective antiretroviral therapy that drives the HIV plasma viral load to undetectable levels, the risk of any type of HIV transmission is significantly decreased, but not completely eliminated. Likewise not ejaculating in the mouth and not coming into contact with pre-cum would decrease but not eliminate HIV-transmission risk. You can review additional information on this topic in the archives of this forum. I'll post below a link to a sample of what can be found in the archives.

Good luck. Stay safe. Stay well.

Dr. Bob

http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/SafeSex/Q214367.html

Previous
hiv and cortisone
Next
Disclosure Question, Need Advice

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.