Pls Pls share with all worried wells - My story

Hi Doctor - I want to share my note with all the worried wells. I myself have been one for almost 3 years (you can read my question titled (Extremely worried from Mumbai - Pls help) below. Despite my last negative tests at 9 months in April 2009 I continued to have one lymph node behind my ear, I continue to have it, burning sensation in my arms & legs, low grade fever. I decided enough was enough and took a test again at 2yrs and 9 months... which was last week and guess it was negative. I was sure it was HIV, but the test & God had other ideas for me. Doc this site & you have been a great help since June 2008 when I first panicked. Before I sign off just a couple of queries 1) The recent test performed last week was an Immunochromatographic Test. How accurate is this test ? Is it at par with an ELISA ? 2) I was diagnosed with vitamin b12 deficiency and am on medication along with b12 shots for a month now, can this cause a false negative test ? I have decided to stay off internet, but wanted to share my story before I put my mind to peace. Also my wife is expecting our first kid and am happy to walk in with her with a positive frame of mind and no thinking of the worst. Thanks again Doc and god bless

Worried from India (mumbai) Jul 7, 2009

Hello Bob,

Greetings !!!

Truly appreciate the good work you do for those worried & impacted with HIV.

Here is my situation,

On June 26th 2008, I had an exposure with a CSW at Mumbai.While this was my first such sexual situation ever, as expected I was nervous. I did use a condom however I could not penetrate her as I did not have enough errection (since I was nervous). However after a few attempts to my scare I realised that my condom had come off and my penis had been in direct contact with her vagina. As mentioned earlier, there was no intercouse, but i am quite sure that the head of my penis did rub the vagina & may have gone in for a minute or two in my attempt to penetrate her. On realising that the condom came off I immediately stopped the act & preferred leaving the place.

Following this exposure I immediately tested for HIV the very next day which came back negative. After having read a few sites I realised that there is a window period and hence I repeated my tests at 4 1/2 , 5 1/2 , 7 & 9 months...all came back negative. The testing method used was ELISA. Despite the negative tests I am still worried and have a few questions,

1) Since the prevelance of HIV is high in india, will the avergare risk of transmission for 1 in 2000 episodes from female to male change for India.

2) Do I require to test upto 12 months ? My Hep B & C tests too were negative after 6 months

3) As fas as symptoms go , i did have tonsillitis at 9 months which lasted for 3 -4 days. There are a few small red bumps on the back of my throat which my ENT specilaist says are taste buds. I also have a small node or pleomorphic adenoma at the back of my right ear lobe for a while, is this an indication of HIV ?

4) Post my expousre in June'08 after 4 months (oct'08) I got married and followed safe sex, however at times did indulge in frottage with my wife. Will this delay the formation of antibodies for the initial exposure I had with the CSW ? My wife during a routine check up had a negative HIV test at 5 1/2 months.

Sorry for this long note. I will eagerly await your response. Thanks God Bless !!!

1. No.

2. No. Your repeatedly negative HIV ELISA tests out to nine months are definitive and conclusive. You are HIV negative.

3. No.

4. No.

You're welcome!

1. Very accurate. Yes.

2. Nope.

You're welcome.

Donated, no reply, please answer! Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thank You