Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

More than a thank you
Apr 16, 2011

It is with great seriousness that I write to you Dr. Robert. What you do everyday, is truly amazing. It is because of you, that our world is a better place. I felt like I needed to share my story with the readers, because I was one too. With that said, I proudly say that I had my first HIV test today, and the results, much to my surprise, were negative. I am writing not to just share my news, but to share my story with you... and all of your faithful readers. I am a recently out 24 year old man. I had two counts of unprotected insertive anal with a guy of unknown status last may, along with a host of other oral encounters were guys i found out later were poz. As it was my first experiences with guys, "I didn't know any better" (which is the world's worst excuse). Unfortunately, three-four weeks after these encountersI came down with the worst sore throat, fever and swollen glands I had seen. I tested for strep and mono, but I had mono when i was 19. After a quick google search, i came across HIV. It was never something I thought of before. At this moment, I was convinced I had been infected. My symptoms lasted two or so weeks, yet my lymph nodes in the neck were swollen for the rest of the summer. In the fall, I had what I thought was a case of oral hairy leukoplakia. For nearly ten months, I scoured the internet for stories like mine, looking for people with my story... just to see if they tested neg. Today, I finally found the courage to get to a testing clinic, and got my test. I have never been so nervous or overwhelmed in my life, but I can assure you I am beyond happy I went. I finally can put that behind me and move on. I can live my life again. For those of you who are unsure of your status, or fear you may have been infected.. get tested. I am a clear case that symptoms are notoriously misleading. Add me to your list of worried wells... can I get a woo hoo?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Thanks for taking the time to write in and share your story and your great news! I found one comment alarming. You are 24-years-old and yet HIV "was something (you) never thought of before"??? YIKES! Obviously our HIV awareness and prevention programs are failing in a very dramatic way. Thirty years into the pandemic with another American getting infected every 9.5 minutes and with over 25,000,000 deaths worldwide, I had hoped HIV/AIDS would be an integral part of general health education in all schools (and homes!).

I'm delighted you've now done some catch-up work to learn more about HIV. Please "pay it forward." That means take your experience and what you've learned here and help educate others -- friends, colleagues, family members, even Tea Party wackos! I'm confident your testimonial on this site will help others still stuck in their self-induced worried-well hell to get tested.

I have one final comment just for you: WOO-HOO!

Be well. Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Please answer back
Next
False PCR test?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.