Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Very scared... should I be??
Apr 15, 2011

Hello Dr. Frascino,

I going to try and be as short as possible. Last night I was at a strip club with some friends, after I left, on my way driving home, and since I was already a bit excited, I saw a sex worker and stopped. We went into her room and proceeded to have intercourse; I sure did use a condom and the act was somehow quick, I made sure I did not touch her anywhere and that there was no other contact besides the protected intercourse itself.

When I pulled out, I saw one or drop little red dots on the outside of the condom, I removed the condom with caution with my left hand since I knew I had a little cut right next to the nail of my right hand's thumb finger. I immediately went to the bathroom and washed my left hand with very hot water then got dressed and ready to leave.

Before I went, I asked her what those two little red spots that I saw on the outside of the condom were, and she said it was probably left overs from her period, and then I left... got home a about 20 mins later and washed my hands again with hot water and soap, and then I finally washed myself with hot water and soap as well.

I am freaking out Dr. Bob, is there any way I could of gotten infected based on what I just told you above? The condom did not brake as far as I could see, there was a bit of blood from her but I removed the condom with left hand as I had a lil cut on right hand... then washed hand with hot water.

I am scared the 2 lil spots blood could of have come in contact with my skin somewhere at some point and since I had that cut on right hand, and I am also feeling guilt because I cheated on my girlfriend and spend some money on the wrong thing to end up today depressed and very very scare. This is the first and last time I do something like this. =/

Please Dr. Bob answer me, you have the knowledge to help me think a bit more rational here... I am a wreck! I can't stop thinking that I have contracted hiv!

Thank you so so much in advance, and I will be donating $50 to the website. Hell, if I spend double that last night to feel how I feel today, I can definitively donate to a good cause. Thank you.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Relax Max! Protected sex is indeed protected, assuming the latex condom was used properly and didn't break. That's why we call it "protected." Clever, eh? As for the two blood spots on the outside of the condom, these would not be a risk based on the information you provided.

Your freak-out is related to guilt rather than to any actual HIV-acquisition risk. I think you probably know that, right? Of course you do. I see absolutely no cause for concern or medical reason for HIV testing. However, if my reassurance isn't enough to put your fears permanently to rest, you could consider getting a single HIV-antibody testing at the three-month mark for psychological peace of mind. The results will undoubtedly be negative.

Thanks for your support of The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). It's warmly appreciated. In return I'm sending you my good-luck/good-health karma that you are now and will forever be HIV free.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Ciao dottore puoi aiutarmi
Next
PEP again!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.