Fluctuating CD4 Count

Hi Dr

I hope you can give me some advice regarding my fluctuating CD4 count and percentages. Listed below are the results of my last four visits CD 402 /33% (June 2010) CD 359 /% not known (October 2010) CD4 436 /34% (January 2011) CD4 324 / 29.4 (March 2011)

I have been told that rushing / running etc prior to having your bloods taken can affect your immune system which may be the answer, as l am often in that situation when trying to make my clinic appointments on time and therefore sometimes arrive stressed however, l do not know if this correct or if it would show up immediately in any blood test?

l have not had any health concerns over the past 12 month, l eat reasonably well, exercise 4 times a week with a mixture of cardio and resistance and do not smoke. I drink moderately and my viral load is undetectable and take Atripla.

Any advice on the fluctuating figures would be appreciated as would an answer to the rushing / stress on the immune system prior to bloods being taken.

Thanks for the great work that you do for us all

Regards Gary (London UK)

Hi Gary in London,

I was in London last week at the new W Hotel on Leicester Square, attending the wedding of two guys both named Colin, and also catching up on West End productions. The wedding and West End shows were much more impressive than the new hotel, which has some serious design flaws . . . but I digress . . . . Regarding your lab results, fluctuations in absolute CD4 counts and, to a lesser extent, CD4% are to be expected. They can bounce up and down for a variety of reasons other than HIV. What would be concerning would be a downward trend in these parameters. Your results do not show a persistent trend, at least not yet. My advice would be to hold tight and see what your June results look like. That your HIV plasma viral load is undetectable suggests your Atripla is working well virologically.

As for rushing and/or running to your blood test appointment, this would not affect the immune system or your CD4/CD4% test results.

Good luck. Be well.

I have diarrhia
dirty panty