The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

False positive with the PCR test

Apr 14, 2011

Dear Dr. Frascino, I got a call from my doctor at Kaiser today that I have been exposed to HIV but have no antibodies to the disease. He didn't say so, but I would assume that they gave me the PCR test since that test does not test for antibodies. The thing is that I have had sex about 6 times over the past six months, no anal intercourse, and only light, pre-ejaculation oral sex (albeit without a condom). I can't tell you how upset I am. Your blog is one of the few things that have given me hope. How worried should I be that I am HIV positive?

Response from Dr. Frascino


A call from your physician (or the health department) advising you have been "exposed to HIV" doesn't mean you have contracted the virus. Rather, it just means someone who has been diagnosed as HIV positive gave your name as a sexual contact. The call is to alert you that you should be tested if you put yourself at risk for acquiring HIV, i.e., had unsafe sex. Oral sex is considered very low risk for HIV transmission/acquisition.

I would suggest you contact your doctor for additional clarification. Your doctor would not know if you have HIV antibodies (test HIV positive) or not, unless he ran a specific HIV-antibody test. PCR tests are generally not used for diagnostic purposes.

Good luck!

Dr. Bob

Dealing with friends/family on PEP
I have diarrhia

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint