Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

RNA Test Accuracy
Apr 14, 2011

Dr. Bob, I look forward to donating again to your cause and you answering my question. I had a low risk exposure, protected sex with a woman of unknow hiv status. My concerns are I am not sure if the condom stayed on or broke as she took care of everything and it was dark. My question is I had a RNA blood test 23 days after exposure and a rapid oral test 31 days after exposure and both came back negative. I am reading conflicting reports but the majority states that a RNA test is accurate after 11 days of exposure. Is this the case? Are these test I had done in the time frame completed be confirmation that I am HIV negative and should not be stressing? I look forward to your response and think that what you do is great! Thank you!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

The gold standard for HIV diagnostic testing remains the HIV-antibody test taken outside the window period (three months in most situations). The FDA has approved only one RNA test for HIV-diagnostic purposes, the APTIMA HIV-1 RNA qualitative assay. And this test still requires a confirmatory antibody test if positive. Stay tuned to The Body. I plan to write a blog discussing the various HIV diagnostic tests and the possibility of changing our guidelines based on the sensitivity and specificity of the newer assays.

Dr. Bob

Previous
extremely worried\desperate for advice\dontation info (PIMPLES AND HIV TRANSMISSION RISK, 2011)
Next
Uncircumcised top, but with double penetration.

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.