RNA Test Accuracy

Dr. Bob, I look forward to donating again to your cause and you answering my question. I had a low risk exposure, protected sex with a woman of unknow hiv status. My concerns are I am not sure if the condom stayed on or broke as she took care of everything and it was dark. My question is I had a RNA blood test 23 days after exposure and a rapid oral test 31 days after exposure and both came back negative. I am reading conflicting reports but the majority states that a RNA test is accurate after 11 days of exposure. Is this the case? Are these test I had done in the time frame completed be confirmation that I am HIV negative and should not be stressing? I look forward to your response and think that what you do is great! Thank you!

The gold standard for HIV diagnostic testing remains the HIV-antibody test taken outside the window period (three months in most situations). The FDA has approved only one RNA test for HIV-diagnostic purposes, the APTIMA HIV-1 RNA qualitative assay. And this test still requires a confirmatory antibody test if positive. Stay tuned to The Body. I plan to write a blog discussing the various HIV diagnostic tests and the possibility of changing our guidelines based on the sensitivity and specificity of the newer assays.

extremely worried\desperate for advice\dontation info (PIMPLES AND HIV TRANSMISSION RISK, 2011)
Uncircumcised top, but with double penetration.