The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

not taking my meds

Apr 14, 2011

I was diagnosed with HIV about 9 yrs ago. I was on a regimen of Sustiva and Combivir daily for 4 yrs. I moved to back to my home town without medical insurance but found out I was luckily non-progressive. I don't know the reason for this but I don't take my meds anymore. I have not suffered any HIV-related illnesses at all. I do know that I have a detectable viral count and a good t-cell count. So I do not have sex anymore. Since this is my home town, I keep things quiet. No one knows that I'm gay and HIV positive. So what's the problem? I recently interviewed for a job working at the local water treatment plant. I have the qualifications. Should I take the job? There isn't any reason for anyone to be exposed to my status. But would you drink the water if you knew someone who worked there had HIV?

Response from Dr. Frascino


There is absolutely no HIV-related reason you should not take the job at the local water treatment plant. None whatsoever! And, of course, I would drink the water if I knew you or that every single employee at the plant was "positively charged"! HIV is not transmitted by anything you could do there, unless you decided to have unsafe sex with another employee in the water tank! Even then, the only risk would be to your sex partner!

Regarding your HIV disease, you should still be monitored regularly by an HIV specialist physician.

Dr. Bob

Got Tested... Unprotected Risks
Nave patient with questions

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint