Got Tested... Unprotected Risks

I'll admit, I've had unprotected sex multiple times with men that have, in the end, proven not to have my best interest in mind. Last year, my doctor suggested I get tested as a "good thing to do", and I agreed. After I sucked it up and got blood drawn, I waited for my results and they never came. I assumed since I hadn't received a call, everything must have come back normal. The other day I went for my yearly exam. I asked about last year's test, since I never officially got my record of it. My doctor looked it up and noticed that the test had been "cancelled", which might mean the lab never received my sample.

I got tested again, and am quite young, in my early 20s, and am scared to death of the results. To young people out there who have exposed themselves to anything, I highly recommend getting tested. Thinking about the risk I've put myself in has been enough for me to vow a change of lifestyle!

I guess my question is what is the likelihood of HIV transmission from vaginal intercourse? None of my partners were known HIV+. I should be glad I got tested, but anything you could say to give me a sense of what my odds are of coming back +? The results take a couple of weeks and I sense a nervous breakdown coming on. Thanks, "Young, and no longer stupid"

Hi Young and No Longer Stupid,

There is absolutely no doubt that you made the correct decision in getting HIV tested! When it comes to HIV, knowing is always better than not knowing. (See response from the archives below.)

The CDC's per-act statistical estimate for acquiring HIV from receptive penile-vaginal sex with a partner confirmed to be HIV infected is 1 per 1,000 exposures. Your estimated risk would be less, as we do not know the status of your partners.

Good luck!

http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/SafeSex/Q214036.html

Just Diagnosed
not taking my meds