late seroconversion, diabetic on insulin and extremely stressed.

plz answer my question Dr Robert you are a great person, i'll donate you soon when i return to work off sick for 4 months. Trajedy struck when in nov i've had unprotected vaginal sex with a known hiv+SW. 3 weeks later started with buring itching my anus it was like i've had spicy food which lasted for 2,3weeks and at the same time started itching all my body.then started irregular bowl and tummy achs and noisy stomach sore throat,tongue thrush(which is still going on) and small couple of pink spot appeares now and then over chest arm and back.extreme both legs muscle pains,twiching and still now 4 months post exposure its not that worst but there.headache and burning sensation in the head and face.tested several times for hiv all negative till 4 months at gum clinic.during this time i've had some white blood cells count test at my GP white cells count droped from 6.29 to 4.34 and gone up to 5.62 and dropped back to 4.22. lymmphocyte 2.07 to 1.49 and now in the recent test then raised 2.84 and droped to 1.98.recently Neutrophil count is dropped to 1.66 which is below range and Monocyte count dropped to 0.17 below the range my GP said it point out an ongoing infection and asked to have another WBC test next month.5-6 weeks post exposure i was soo ill with this strange with pin and needles and burning sensation all over my body felt that i was going to die still fatigue and leg and arm muscle pain a constant thing and headach now. plz suggest me what to do as i'm sure as i'm diabetic on insulin dependent my body is not producing antibodies.im taking pain killers and Amitriptyline 25mg for sleep without it i cant sleep. how long ive to wait for antibodies to show as i cant go on like this will die soon withouth treatment to hiv!

Hello Extremely Stressed,

First off let's ratchet down the anxiety levels, OK? No, you will not "die soon without HIV treatment"! At this point there is no indication you are even HIV infected!

Your decision to have unprotected sex with an HIV-positive sex worker does place you at risk for acquiring the virus (and other STDs). Consequently STD screening, including HIV testing, is warranted. However, it's important to note that not every HIV exposure leads to HIV transmission! There are many variables involving both the virus (viral strain, viral load, etc.) and the host (immune integrity, route of exposure, concurrent infections, local trauma, etc.) that affect whether HIV transmission occurs.

Symptoms are notoriously unreliable in predicting who is and is not HIV infected. Rely on your test results, not symptoms. Your particular symptoms, by the way, are much more consistent with anxiety than HIV! You are not a delayed seroconverter (they are extremely rare). You are an anxious wreck with irrational fears of being HIV infected (these are extremely common!).

Your negative HIV tests out to four months are extremely encouraging. Because you had a "significant" HIV exposure, I would recommend one additional HIV-antibody test at the six-month mark. At this point the odds are very much in your favor that you did not contract the virus from your positively charged gal-pal.

I would suggest you talk to your doctor about anti-anxiety medication and/or psychotherapy (counseling) to help you cope with your fears while waiting for your definitive six-month test.

Thanks for your support of The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). It's warmly appreciated. In return I'm sending my good-luck karma that your definitive six-month HIV test remains negative. (By the way, my good-luck karma has yet to fail!)

Really really worried
how long can I stay on antibiotics? (LACK OF CD4 RESPONSE DESPITE TREATMENT, 2011)