More Confused Than Ever

Hello Dr did write to you before did not get a response but am aware that you recieve way to many questions. Had anal sex with 2 different men in a sex club with a condom and the condom failed. Did pull out and went to the washroom to wash the area with antibacterial soap and then put on hand sanitizer all over the area. I was on vacation at the time so called my DR and he told me that this one time although holds a risk it would be good to go on PEP. So I contacted a clinic and was seen by a DR who did not order a HIV test only an STD screanng. Told me HIV would not show up anyways. Did not even talk to me about PEP. I was the top in the incident not the bottom. Now that I have exceded the 72 hour time frame should I have insisted on going on pep. There is so much conflicting info out there one does not know what to do. On a positive note the DR did take the time to show me how to put on a condom the right way. Thanking you in advance.

Broken-condom sex with an anonymous partner of unknown HIV status does place you at some degree of risk for STDs, including HIV. Whether a course of PEP would be recommended depends on several factors, including the likelihood your partner was HIV infected. At this point you are beyond the 72-hour limit and therefore to PEP or not to PEP is a moot point. Now all you can do is endure the window period and then get an HIV-antibody test. I'd also suggest you review proper condom technique (in the archives of this forum). Latex condoms very seldom fail (break) when used properly.

Good luck!

Struggling with Anxiety (3rd request) please help
risk?/donation info