Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

More Confused Than Ever
Mar 29, 2011

Hello Dr did write to you before did not get a response but am aware that you recieve way to many questions. Had anal sex with 2 different men in a sex club with a condom and the condom failed. Did pull out and went to the washroom to wash the area with antibacterial soap and then put on hand sanitizer all over the area. I was on vacation at the time so called my DR and he told me that this one time although holds a risk it would be good to go on PEP. So I contacted a clinic and was seen by a DR who did not order a HIV test only an STD screanng. Told me HIV would not show up anyways. Did not even talk to me about PEP. I was the top in the incident not the bottom. Now that I have exceded the 72 hour time frame should I have insisted on going on pep. There is so much conflicting info out there one does not know what to do. On a positive note the DR did take the time to show me how to put on a condom the right way. Thanking you in advance.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Broken-condom sex with an anonymous partner of unknown HIV status does place you at some degree of risk for STDs, including HIV. Whether a course of PEP would be recommended depends on several factors, including the likelihood your partner was HIV infected. At this point you are beyond the 72-hour limit and therefore to PEP or not to PEP is a moot point. Now all you can do is endure the window period and then get an HIV-antibody test. I'd also suggest you review proper condom technique (in the archives of this forum). Latex condoms very seldom fail (break) when used properly.

Good luck!

Dr. Bob

Previous
Struggling with Anxiety (3rd request) please help
Next
risk?/donation info

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.