HELP!!! BLOOD FROM HIV+ PERSON LANDING ON MY SON

Hi Dr. Frascino, I know I write to you a lot and sometimes even I see the homour in my stories, BUT this is different- VERY REAL!!!! I have an HIV+ staff member that works for us at my business. When I went there yesterday my staff member, Enoch, had just been shopping and it was really hot. When he saw my son Ben he was so happy to see him and he touched my son's chin and did a typical South African handshake. Now, I have two concerns: Enoch's hands were REALLY clammy, so my first concern is that if my son who is 4, had little cuts, would the sweat be a concern? My other MAJOR concern is that when we left I saw a smudge of red on Ben's chin which looked like blood- I'm sure it's from Enoch when he touched him. Can Ben get HIV from Enoch with the above mentioned scenarios? I feel sick Dr. Would you recommend anti-retrovirals or anything? PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!! Regards Paola

Hi Paola,

You see the "homour" in your stories? Now that's funny!

Concern #1: HIV is not transmitted via sweat. No risk.

Concern #2: No risk.

Now I have a question for you! What's a typical South African handshake?

Stop worrying. Ben is fine. It's your worrying that's becoming worrisome!

Virus Survival
Cleansing the Wand: the Clorox Wipe & Urethra Story