Doctor Can you please help...
Mar 21, 2011
Hello, I had safe sex two months back.
Latex condom was used properly and didn't fail.
After one month exposure, western blot test performed. Later came to know worng test was order by seeing your mails.
I will go for HIV-antibody at the three-month mark.
Below are my test results on WB.
P24 weekly positive and remaining all are negitive.
For these kind of case below is your replay you have provided doctor.
WB tests should only be performed as confirmatory tests after a repeatedly positive ELISA (EIA, or rapid test). A "weakly positive p24" band on a WB without a previously positive screening test is meaningless.
Doctore Can you please answer my below doughts.
1) What is the window peroid for P24 ? 2) Why P24 should not run with out ELISA Positive ? 3) With out ELISA test, in western blot if P24 is weekly positive - this means ELISA also will be positive if go after 3 months for test.
Doctor I will donate 50$ for your orginigation. Please help me doctor.
Response from Dr. Frascino
1. You may be confusing a p24 antigen and p24 antibody tests. The p24 antigen is one of HIV's core proteins. It surrounds the viral RNA. When HIV is madly replicating, as in early HIV infection, p24 antigen (a protein) is produced in massive quantities. It can then be detected in the blood (the p24 antigen test). It's a reasonably good marker of acute infection, but dissipates over a period of several weeks as p24 antibodies (a different protein from p24 antigen) begin to develop. The window period for any HIV-antibody test (including p24 antibodies) is three months.
2. See above.
3. No. Most likely the result was a false positive.
Thanks for your support of The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). It's warmly appreciated.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Chills After Unprotected Vaginal Sex Worried I Have HIV
- Flu Symptoms After Oral Sex Worried I Have HIV
- Flu Symptoms After Swallowing Cum Worried I Have HIV
- Tingling Lips After Kissing Cut On Lip Worried I Have HIV
- Tingling Lips After Oral Sex On A Woman What Are The Chances Of HIV
- Can Saliva Transmit Hepatitis B?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.