Mar 18, 2011
Thanks for all you do here. Well here's my story had unprotected anal (receptive) and 5 days later developed thrush in my mouth. Went to the doc as I couldnt eat etc and she gave me some troches which cleared it up. The following week I went and had a test done at the local clinic (negative). Since I was still under the "window period" I decided to test again. Most of this was because the Median rhomboid is still on my tongue. I ordered this test off amazon with a negative result (its been 4mos since exposure). http://www.amazon.com/Oralwell-USA-Oral-HIV-Test/dp/B004NY5AIG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1300316440&sr=8-1 1.) Have you heard of this test? Is it reliable? 2.) I ordered the other test that is FDA approved, waiting for it in the mail. 3.) Is 5 days too soon to have thrush after infection? I also had severe fatigue but figured it was a result of a long work week etc.
Thanks for your help and I will be donating to your foundation as well as updating you on the result of the FDA test.
Response from Dr. Frascino
1. The home test you ordered is not FDA approved and therefore I would not trust its reliability.
2. The only FDA-approved HIV diagnostic home test is the Home Access Express Test. It is highly reliable.
3. Thrush is seen in approximately 12% of cases of acute retroviral syndrome (ARS). In general symptoms associated with ARS manifest two to three weeks after primary HIV infection; however, there is considerably variability from person to person.
Regarding HIV-antibody testing in general, tests taken prior to the three-month mark are not considered to be definitive or conclusive.
Thanks for your support of The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). It's warmly appreciated.
Good luck with your upcoming HIV test.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Does HIV Cause Vaginal Discharge?
- Flu Symptoms After Open Mouth Kissing Worried I Have HIV
- Swollen Lymph Nodes After Rubbing Penis Worried I Have HIV
- Can You Get Genital Warts On Your Mouth?
- Red Bumps On The Vaginal Area With White Heads On Them
- What Age Group Is More Likely To Have Or Catch Genital Herpes?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.