Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

hiv after 4 months
Mar 17, 2011

In the begining of december 2010 i had unprotected sex with a person , both vaginal and anal . The intercourse lasted for maximum 5 min. No ejaculation has occured but in January that person called me crying that she was positive for hiv, rapid,elisa and western blot. She siad last unprotected sex was end of August 2010. That is 4 months post exposure. In december she had hiv test and came back negative but Januay positive. She has been now diagnosed and takeing antivirals. She had all the sympthoms in January and togheter with the hiv + doctors have realised she has neck and head cancer. Sad story but cut the long story short , her hiv status came back positive after 4 months, and my questions are: 1.Due to the cancer her immune system responded slower than would do for a healty person or its just a form of hiv wich multiplies slower? 2.wich are my chnces to test positive after 3 months ? Thank you , all replies are welcome, ive been reading alot about this virus, im very stressed and im telling u for sure both the pacient and the doctor have come to the conclusion its an older infection than 3 months altough shes been tested negative shortly after 3 months and positive after 4.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

1. No, the immune suppression would more likely have preceded the cancer. A deficient immune system makes one more susceptible to certain problems, such as opportunistic infections and malignancies.

2. I would assume your partner's negative test in December may have been a false negative. If so, your HIV-acquisition risk would be unprotected insertive vaginal and anal sex with an HIV-infected partner who was not on antiretroviral therapy. This is considered a very significant risk, but it's important to note that not every HIV exposure leads to HIV transmission. You will need HIV-antibody testing at both the three- and six-month marks.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Freak incident with masssage girl
Next
getting tested in two weeks

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.