Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

first off: Thank You Dr. Bob your work is greatly appreciated! - originaly posted in wrong forum pls answer
Mar 16, 2011

I'd like to thank you Dr. Bob, even though you didn't answer my question directly (which was probably missed since I posted in the wrong forum) you have helped me greatly in giving me a little peace of mind by reading your answers to others, as well as keeping me entertained. You have such a positive outlook and a great sense of humor and I also think that "crazed grin", as others have called it truly reflects that great personality that really comes across your in your answers. I think what you do is great Dr. Bob, I have learned a lot about HIV in this site. My donation is on the way. I must say I was FREAKING out a week ago, and now I'm a lot more at ease but still somewhat nervous.

With that said, I'd like to ask the question originally posted on the wrong forum: About a week ago I made a bad juggement call and had an sex with a prostitute whose HIV status is unknown to me. I wore a condom and it didn't fail. I pulled out of her vagina and walked to the bathroom to clean up. I touched the condom to remove it with my fingertips of the right hand wich was still wet from the lube and presumably her vaginal fluids and proceeded to wash my hands with anti-bacterial soap. When I was done washing I noticed I was bleeding from a small cut on the top of my left hand thumbnail from a skin flake I had pulled earlier (I have a nail biting habit). It wasn't bleeding before so I assume the scab must've rubbed off with the soap and water. My question is: was I at risk of HIV infection? Could her vaginal fluids on my fingers washed into the cut by mixing with the water/soap. What's your advice? Was I at risk of infection?

Thanl you again Dr. Bob

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Your HIV-acquisition risk is essentially nonexistent. I see no cause for concern. However, if you're still "somewhat nervous," you could get a single HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark for peace of mind. The result will undoubtedly be negative, assuming the latex condom was used properly and did not fail (break).

Good luck. Be well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
PLEASE HELP from NZ
Next
Sniffing (HIV AND HEP C RISK FROM SNORTING COCAINE, 2011)

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.