Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Positive Elisa Indeterminate WB Negative Determine HIV Test
Mar 13, 2011

Dear Dr. Bob,

I recently applied for an insurance policy that required me to undergo an HIV test. The results came Positive ELISA and Indeterminate Western Blot. No further details have been shared with me. I immediately took a Determine HIV 1-2 Test and it came back negative. I did another Determine HIV 1-2 test a week later and it also came back negative.

I have never engaged in any sexual activity other than with my wife. We have been married for the last 6 years and also have a small kid one and half year old. My wife is HIV negative. I too had tested HIV negative two years back.

Incidentally last October I took Influenza vaccination along with Swine Flu Vaccine.

I want to understand from you is it possible that the ELISA test is reacting to cross-reacting antibodies from the Swine Flu Vaccination while the Determine HIV 1-2 test is not? In addition, could this be the likely cause of Indeterminate HIV 1-2 test?

The doctor has advised me to go for another WB. I am expecting the results the next week. I am quite tensed. Please advise.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Your HIV-acquisition risk is essentially nonexistent; consequently, your chances of being HIV infected are essentially nonexistent as well.

A reactive (positive) screening ELISA plus an indeterminate WB is considered an overall indeterminate result. Cross-reacting antibodies (from vaccination or other causes) are a common cause of indeterminate HIV antibody test results. Your two subsequent negative HIV-1/2 antibody tests confirm your HIV-negative status. I would not suggest running another Western Blot (WB) unless you have another positive ELISA first. Isolated WB tests can result in false-positive/indeterminate results. WB tests should only be run to confirm a repeatedly reaction/positive screening HIV-antibody test (ELISA, EIA, rapid test, etc.).

Don't be "tensed." All is well, including you!

Dr. Bob

Previous
Thank you
Next
Dr bob you are so freaking funny, im not kidding (A FEW FUNNY POSTS FROM THE ARCHIVES, 2011)

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.