Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Thank you
Mar 13, 2011

Thank you for your response to my question, you taking time out to help me really makes me so grateful. Ok, I won't start planning my funeral just yet ;) (I laughed when you said that because I'd just finished doing my will)

I've finished the PEP course, and monday will be 5 weeks post exposure, so still a long way to go to find out for sure what has happened. I'm dreading the onset of a seroconversion illness, but guess really its the psychological aspect to this that has hit me the most so far. I'm seeing a Clinical Psychologist on Monday which will hopefully help me deal with this mentally. Though I'm a typical guy and hate talking about myself, I know I need to do this for my own health. I'm really scared and in the worst depression in my life. I'm praying that the seroconversion won't be too rough if/when it happens. I'll get back to you in 5 weeks when I get my first set of results... and once again, Thank you.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

You're welcome. By the way, the symptoms of acute retroviral syndrome associated with seroconversion generally manifest two to three weeks after HIV primary infection. You're already five weeks out. Just one more reason to delay purchase on that casket!

I'm delighted you are seeing a clinical psychologist on Monday.

Dr. Bob

Being diagnosed in 2010 Mar 10, 2011

I made a stupid mistake when drunk and had unprotected sex, I was receptive partner and it happened twice, sadly 2 days later I found out the person was positive, I started PEP at 60 hours but my STD check found gonorrhea, so I'm trying to face the future, as I know that the combination of events mean I'm likely infected with HIV. I can't ask how long I've got to live, because I know you're not a psychic ;) but what is the general consensus on HIV progression these days? I guess I've considerbly shorterned my life with one drunken mistake, but with the meds available now would you expect someone to live 10 to 15 years before facing considerable complications from the meds/HIV. I know some lucky people have lived 20+ years but I'm looking at the average patient?

Thanks

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

WHOA! Before planning your funeral, don't you think you ought to wait and see if you've even contracted the virus? I suggest taking this one step at a time. It's important to note that gonorrhea is much easier to contract than HIV. Also, not every HIV exposure leads to HIV transmission (even if you get gonorrhea). Yes, it is true that having both gonorrhea and HIV increases the overall risk of transmitting the virus, but not to 100%! Besides, you also are on PEP, which will decrease your risk of acquiring the virus. As for facing the future, I suggest you concentrate on taking your PEP as prescribed and then focus on getting the recommended post-PEP HIV testing (HIV antibody tests at four to six weeks, three months and six months). During this period you can avail yourself of the wealth of information on this site where you will find discussions of HIV transmission, diagnosis, treatment, and prognosis. Should you test HIV positive, write back and we'll discuss next steps, OK? As for prognosis for virally enhanced folks who have been recently infected, optimistically one would hope to die of old age rather than old AIDS.

Good luck. I'm here if you need me, OK?

Dr. Bob

Previous
Freak incident with a body massage girl
Next
Positive Elisa Indeterminate WB Negative Determine HIV Test

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.