Think Horses Not Zebras PartII

Hi Dr. Bob, Hope you had a great vacation and glad to see you're still helping us flutter nutters...I wrote you last in April '10 but read your forum and others on The body on a daily basis. The thought that one of my 71 neg tests will now turn pos After 3 years post exposure is consuming me and affecting My work and fanily life. Wondering if you could answer a couple more questions: 1) Can someone seroconvert 3 years or more after an exposure? 2) Are all of my nat's and eia's conclusive? 3) Since I have a huge increase in floaters 4 mos post my exp how can it not be related to hiv in some way???? 4) My stomach gurgles all the time, wouldn't this show I have something going on?? My exposure was fingering a stripper rumored to be + and Then stupidly licking my fingers. I know vaginal secretions transmit the virus but don't know why none of my tests show anything. How do I close this and move on? Testing isn't helping Thanks for your gracious response. Still a hug fan.

Hello Still A Hug Fan,

First of all, what's a hug fan? Second, have you really had 71 negative HIV tests over the past three years??? WOWZA! Dude, you need a new hobby. How about Sudoku or naked skydiving?

Regarding your specific questions:

1. Nope.

2. Yep.

3. Nope.

4. Sure, but whatever is causing it is not HIV! The most likely causes are stress or eating at Ticky Tacky Taco.

Finally, you state you know vaginal secretions can transmit the virus but you don't know why none of your 71 HIV tests out to three years have indicated you are HIV infected. Really??? You have absolutely no idea? Care to take a guess? Go ahead. We'll wait. Still no idea? OK, well the answer is that you are HIV negative. HIV is not your problem. No way. No how. No further HIV tests are warranted (you've had way, way too may already!). Now come on, you knew the answer all along, right? Of course you did.

As for how to stop testing and move on, I'd recommend you just stop testing and move on! If you can't I'd suggest you see a mental health professional. Your obsession with being HIV infected, despite overwhelming and irrefutable evidence you are not infected, is most likely an indication of depression, anxiety, obsessive-compulsive disorder or hypochondria. As you can see, my assessment and advice haven't changed since you last wrote in way back when you had only had 65 negative tests out to 27 months! See below. No matter how many times you write in or how many unnecessary tests you take, my assessment and advice won't change.

Think horses not zebras... Apr 24, 2010

Hi Dr. Bob,

Hope you're doing well, you're such a specila person. You've used the analogy (title of my post) in the past and I agree If you have a headache, it's not automatically a tumor, but When so many things line up how can you not sometimes explopre The rarities??? I had an "essentially nonexistent" risk In your estimation back in Dec '07. Licking my fingers After vigorously fingering a stripper (think she was +) I had ars type systems 6 weeks post and a shower of increase Of eyefloaters 4 mos after exp and a coated tongue that Just looks infected. Here's where the zebra part comes... I've had 65 elisas over 27 months post (all types ie.lab, Life insurance policy test, clearview 1/2, oraquick finger And oral, home access etc also 4 neg NAT's, one bDNA, one Pcr rna and a pcr dna qual. I know it seems that these would All be neg if I was + but come on. The floaters aren't Psychological because the opthamologist can see them, just didn't See cmv or uveitis. What gives?? Couple questions if you Wouldn't mind 1) the first pcr test (pcr dna) was 8 mos post Exp, was this too late to take? Could viral load have gone To undetectable? 2) Am I controlling the virus there by Not producing antibodies? 3) are the floaters a result From the ars type symptoms I had? 4) what final testing Should I have done? A cd-4 jusy to make sure?? Please be Gracious one more time and give me your advice. I will Listen to whatever you recommend. Thanks and God Bless, A Huge fan

Hello Huge Fan,

You're still chasing a zebra!

You've had 65 negative ELISA tests over 27 months! Frevinsakes!!! In addition you've had undetectable NATs, bDNA, PCR RNA, and PCR DNA. Dude, you just can't get any more negative than that! (Unless you're Glenn Beck or Sarah Palin ranting about Obama, health care and financial reform!)

Regarding floaters, the vast, vast, vast majority of them have absolutely nothing to do with HIV/AIDS. (You're an excellent example of this!)

Regarding your specific questions:

1. No. You are HIV negative.

2. No, you are HIV negative.

3. No, you didn't have ARS and you don't have HIV either.

4. No additional testing! You've had way too much already.

If my reassurance and your excessive number of negative HIV tests are insufficient to convince you that HIV is not your problem, I would suggest you seek the help of a psychiatrist to help you confront and conquer your totally irrational fears.

Concerned I spread HIV to my family
Inconclusive ELISA, then Negative