Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Concerned I spread HIV to my family
Mar 13, 2011

5 weeks ago I had an unfortunate encounter with a prostitute. I was in the same room as my friend that was performing sexual activity with her while I was passed out from alcohol on the bed besides them. Sometime when my friend went to the restroom, she came down on me and gave me a blow job for about 1 to 2 minutes... After which I realized the big mistake and Pulled out with no ejaculation. Ever since I have been so paranoid, sick to my stomach, and concerned. I have gone testing twice at 2 weeks and the. At 3 weeks... Of course the tests were negative but that was expected as it wasn't enough time for my body to produce antibodies. About 4 days after my encounter, I had unprotected sex with my wife. She was breastfeeding my 8 months old at that time at which point 2 days later my daughter started having diarrhea that lasted about 1.5 weeks. My wife stopped breastfeeding about one week after my daughter started having diarrhea. Two weeks later my daughter had an ear infection after a 6 hour flight that was so painful we had to go to ER. She got better within 2 days. Now, 5 weeks after my encounter, my 8 month old had a stomach flu, threw up once and didn't sleep all night... I am SOOOOOOO WORRIED somehow my wife got HIV from me and then my daughter got it through breastfeeding from the 5 to 6 days after having unprotected sex with my wife. What are the chances... I have told my wife about the whole incident. I can't sleep at nights.... I am soooo stressed and concerned. At 2 weeks after my encounter I had a sore throat for 2 days and then got psoriasis... Little red spots plunder the skin on the palms and soles of my feet for about one week which then my skin around my finger nails peeled off and on my soles as well. I don't know if it's because of the stress... Or if I have HIV. It's impossible to get RNA HIV testing in my state unless you are a man and sleep with other men or share needles and I don't want to lie to get one.

What do i do? And what are the chances my daughter has it? I am so devastated.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Your HIV-acquisition risk from your brief boozy blow job is extremely low. The CDC's per-act statistical estimate for acquiring HIV from insertive oral sex with a partner confirmed to be HIV infected is 0.5 per 10,000 exposures. Your estimated statistical risk would be even less, as we don't know the HIV status of the sex worker who decided to taste your tallywhacker while you were in a martini-induced slumber. The chance you then passed the virus on to your wife through unprotected sex and that she subsequently passed HIV on to your daughter via breastfeeding is so extremely remote that it becomes essentially nonexistent.

I'm glad you leveled with your wife. That was not only the best way to cope with your guilt, but also the right thing to do. You can use latex condoms with your wife until you get your definitive three-month HIV-antibody test. The odds are beyond astronomical that you did not contract HIV from your "unfortunate encounter."

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
welcome back! I really missed you.
Next
Think Horses Not Zebras PartII

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.