Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

DEAR DOCTOR SO MANY TESTS.NEGATIVE RESULTS STILL SYMPTOMS.PLEASE HELP.DONATION AGAIN!!
Mar 12, 2011

Dear Doctor,

Hope you had a pleasant vacations.Well doctor i couldnt take out fear from myself and got myself tested again at 120 and 138 days after my sexperience ( how stupid) with sex workers on 3rd and 15th October 2010.Since my last encounter i took following tests:-

1 3rd week-ELISA test 2 5th,7th,9th,11th and 83 days-ECLIA test 3 90 days-Tridot test 4 97 days-ECLIA test 5 108 days-p24+Antibody test 6 120 days-ECLIA test 7 138 days-ELISA test

All 11 tests taken have come negative so far.I m so obsessed with this testing and still i am very very afraid. The symptoms i feel as of today( today in my 146th day since last exposure).I feel neck pain,red on and off rashes on hands,thighs and fore head.It remains for a day and then they are off.Pain behind the ears and bags below eyes.I also feel pain in both elbows and pain joint pain in legs.Though my dizziness has completely gone now!!Dear Doctor please please hep me what to do??

1 Cann these tests can miss some strains of HIV still??

2 Are my symptoms suggest late ARS??

3 What other tests do you recommend apart from the above test?

Please doctor suggest me what to do??.

Thanks and Regards, AKASH

AM I SAFE NOW?PLEASE ANSWER.ANOTHER DONATION ON THE WAY!! Feb 15, 2011

Dear Doctor,

I had taken ECLIA test at 83 days then tridot test at 97 days and finally Antigen and Antibody test at 108th day post last exposure.All were negative.In last test taken the results were as follows:-

Antigen -0.01 against cut off value 0.25 Antibody 1 /2 -0.07 against cut off value 0.25

Kindly do let me know if not infected then why these nos though they are below cut off value but suppose i m not infected then why DUO test showing some values? had a word with pathelogist he said you not need to worry you are OK.But this is my 16th week post exposure and i feel neck pain,some mild dizziness and i am noticing some red/brown elevated spots on my face.Kindly let me know

1 Am i safe?Do i require further testing

2 I have diabities i take one pill a day for control of diabitics, can this affect my results??

3 Do i require testing six months?

4 I reside in India.Does India has another window period other than UK because i have heard three months are enough for testing.Kindly do let me know please..

My exposure was unprotected vaginal and oral with sex worker twice on 3rd and 16th October 2010.I waited especially three months even if i was expecting some symptoms like weight loss,sweating,neck pain then also i tested after three months at 83rd day( 1 day short of 12 weeks,at 14 weeks by tridot test and finally at 16th week by DUO test.

CAN I WOO HOO DOCTOR? CAN I LEAVE IT BEHIND AND MOVE FORWARD WITH MY LIFE?? I'LL SURELY DONATE FOR THE NOBLE CAUSE

Regards

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

1. Your repeatedly negative HIV-antibody tests out to 108 days are conclusive, definitive and WOO-HOO-able. No further HIV testing is warranted. Values below the cutoff value have no diagnostic significance. Negative is negative.

2. Nope.

3. Nope.

4. The HIV seroconversion window is three months.

5. Can you WOO-HOO? Absolutely!

Thanks for your support of The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). It's warmly welcomed.

Be well.

Dr. Bob

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello AKASH,

1. Nope.

2. Nope.

3. Absolutely none.

As you can see, my assessment if your problem hasn't changed. I would now suggest you seek the help of a mental health professional (psychiatrist, psychologist, counselor). Your problem is not HIV, but rather fear of HIV. Your irrational obsession with HIV could be a sign of depression, anxiety, obsessive-compulsive disorder or hypochondria. One thing is absolutely certain: HIV is not your problem!

Thanks for your support of The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). It's warmly appreciated.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Zero sex drive
Next
Any progress of the Epilepsy Drug in the fight with HIV?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.