Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Exception to the norm? Please consider
Mar 12, 2011

You are one of the most knowledgeable persons I can think when it comes to HIV and I really need your help. General Family Doctors don't seem to have any idea when it comes to HIV and I am at my wits end. I want you to please consider my situation in light of all the facts. I have tested HIV negative repeatedly after a high risk situation out to 31 weeks. I have however had and continue to have upper right abdominal pains, elevated liver enzymes, white coating on tongue, constant reoccurring cold sores, a cough for over 6 weeks now. In addition every night my hands and feet go numb. 15 weeks after my Risk I had a fever of 102-103 for the better part of 5 days, sore throat, major headaches. It was like the worst Flu I ever had, and over six weeks later now I still can't get rid of my cough. I had diagnosed oral thrush for over 8 weeks. I tested positive for CMV infection IgG positive but IgM negative but I did not take this test until six months after my risk. My immune system feels like it is totally shot and I believe I was co-infected with CMV and HIV at the same time and it is causing me to have false negative results. Please Doctor, I ask you for the last time what do you think and should I continue to test for HIV? I respectfully desire to remain anonymous so if you could just respond to this post I would be very appreciative.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Are you the "exception to the norm?" Nope! You are actually just another worried-well obsessing upon a disease you do not have.

You report a variety of symptoms and that you have "tested HIV negative repeatedly out to 31 weeks." A negative HIV-antibody test beyond the window period trumps "symptoms" each and every time! Whatever is causing your symptoms, one thing is certain: it's not HIV!

You report you believe you were co-infected with CMV and HIV at the same time and that this is causing you to have false-negative results. Well just because you "believe" something doesn't mean it's true. You did not contract HIV. Even if you did, a concurrent CMV infection would not cause false-negative HIV-antibody tests. Your fears are irrational and totally unwarranted. I'd recommend you seek counseling for your irrational obsession with HIV, as it may be a sign of anxiety, depression, obsessive-compulsive disorder or hypochondria.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Living in a motel cause wife booted me and cant see the kids and A cyber-sexpert wont answer my questions. Its so sad its almost comical.
Next
Syphilis and HIV (SYPHILIS 2011)

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.