Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

I NEED CLOSURE--PLEASE HELP!!--WILL DONATE
Mar 11, 2011

Dear Dr Bob, I will keep this short. Last of many exposures was September of 2009. I had many earlier than this too!! Since last though I have white tongue, small bleeds in oral cavity on tongue and cheeks that go away, sore throat for over a year, bad muscle twitching, bad floaters. I have had MANY HIV tests after 3 months of last exposure and testing out to 17 months. I will give you the last of each: 66 week HIV-1 RNA quantitative 66 week HIV-2 DNA qualitative 69 week rapid oraquick 70 week HIV-1 western blot 70 week HIV 1/O/2 by ICMA 72 week HIV 1/O/2 by EIA 74 week Abbott duo All HIV tests negative

Recent CBC, CMP--all normal values although I did have a positive ebv and CMV tests a few months ago.

1) is it possible that all of these tests could miss HIV? 2) could these tests miss the rare strain(n,p,non-b subtype)? 3)is it possible to seroconvert from here on? 4)could I be in a further advanced stage of HIV of some strain that AB,pcr tests are missing? 5)what is the LONGEST window period? 6)is it true that some people never have detectable antibodies? 7)is there anything else I can do to rule out 8) I see people coming to this site questioning prior testing/exposures from years back. When can I let this possibility go forever even though I have classic symptoms that nobody can find a cause for?

PLEASE HELP DR BOB--will donate to a GREAT cause!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

1. Nope.

2. Nope.

3. Nope.

4. Nope.

5. Not relevant, as we use very different testing techniques now.

6. I have never seen such a case.

7. Nope. You're as negative as negative gets!

8. Immediately.

Thanks for your support of The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). It's warmly appreciated.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Couple counseling
Next
Thanks for your answers - gratefully donated

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.