The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Magnetic couple slip-up

Mar 10, 2011

Hi, I have been with my partner for 2 years now and she is HIV+. She takes meds and has an undetectable viral load and excellent cd4 count and is currently pregnant. We use condoms generally but have had a couple of slip-ups in the past weekend, me having entered her and cum but not been in for long, maybe half a minute to a minute tops. Afterwards I immediately washed thoroughly and used an anti-viral spray (ok I know the spray prob wont make any difference). I am within the 72 hours required for starting PEP but unsure as to what to do as I know it can be rough going. Can you give me some advice please? Also my partner has herpes but it is under control with aciclovir.


Response from Dr. Frascino


Generally speaking unprotected sex with a partner confirmed to be HIV infected is an indication for PEP. Certainly that your partner is on effective antiretroviral drugs, which have driven the viral load to undetectable levels, significantly decreases the likelihood of HIV transmission. However, it doesn't completely eliminate the risk. Consequently PEP would still be warranted.

You and your poz-partner should review the information in the archives of this forum. We have chapters devoted to magnetic couples, HIV prevention, safer sexual techniques and other pertinent topics.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Post-PEP testing
HIV Test Results

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint