Magnetic couple slip-up

Hi, I have been with my partner for 2 years now and she is HIV+. She takes meds and has an undetectable viral load and excellent cd4 count and is currently pregnant. We use condoms generally but have had a couple of slip-ups in the past weekend, me having entered her and cum but not been in for long, maybe half a minute to a minute tops. Afterwards I immediately washed thoroughly and used an anti-viral spray (ok I know the spray prob wont make any difference). I am within the 72 hours required for starting PEP but unsure as to what to do as I know it can be rough going. Can you give me some advice please? Also my partner has herpes but it is under control with aciclovir.

Thanks

Generally speaking unprotected sex with a partner confirmed to be HIV infected is an indication for PEP. Certainly that your partner is on effective antiretroviral drugs, which have driven the viral load to undetectable levels, significantly decreases the likelihood of HIV transmission. However, it doesn't completely eliminate the risk. Consequently PEP would still be warranted.

You and your poz-partner should review the information in the archives of this forum. We have chapters devoted to magnetic couples, HIV prevention, safer sexual techniques and other pertinent topics.

Post-PEP testing
HIV Test Results