Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Post-PEP testing
Mar 10, 2011

Dear Dr. Bob

A few months back, I had a condom break accident with a woman of unknown status (at the time), and was prescribed PEP the next day. A few days later, I took the lady to take an antibody test and a PCR test which both came out negative. I continued my PEP regimen to complete the 28-day course however.

I have since taken the following tests: - ELISA 7 weeks after completion of PEP - PCR 8 weeks after completion of PEP - ELISA 13 weeks after completion of PEP which all came out negative.

Is this woohooable? My doctor said no further test is warranted, but I read from many of your posts that a post-PEP testing guideline is for another ELISA at 6 months. But in my case, would the fact that my partner tested negative PCR and antibody, and that my own PCR test was negative at 8 weeks mean that the last test is unnecessary? Please could you give me your advice doctor, ad it seems that my doctor wasn't aware of this 6 month rule and I don't know who to ask.

Worried guy

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hey Worried Guy,

Because of the special circumstances whereby your gal-pal turned out to have a negative HIV-antibody test and an undetectable HIV plasma viral load (PCR), I would consider your 13-week negative post-PEP HIV-antibody test to be definitive, conclusive and WOO-HOO-able.

Congrats!

Dr. Bob

Previous
Being diagnosed in 2010
Next
Magnetic couple slip-up

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.