Post-PEP testing

Dear Dr. Bob

A few months back, I had a condom break accident with a woman of unknown status (at the time), and was prescribed PEP the next day. A few days later, I took the lady to take an antibody test and a PCR test which both came out negative. I continued my PEP regimen to complete the 28-day course however.

I have since taken the following tests: - ELISA 7 weeks after completion of PEP - PCR 8 weeks after completion of PEP - ELISA 13 weeks after completion of PEP which all came out negative.

Is this woohooable? My doctor said no further test is warranted, but I read from many of your posts that a post-PEP testing guideline is for another ELISA at 6 months. But in my case, would the fact that my partner tested negative PCR and antibody, and that my own PCR test was negative at 8 weeks mean that the last test is unnecessary? Please could you give me your advice doctor, ad it seems that my doctor wasn't aware of this 6 month rule and I don't know who to ask.

Worried guy

Hey Worried Guy,

Because of the special circumstances whereby your gal-pal turned out to have a negative HIV-antibody test and an undetectable HIV plasma viral load (PCR), I would consider your 13-week negative post-PEP HIV-antibody test to be definitive, conclusive and WOO-HOO-able.

Congrats!

Being diagnosed in 2010
Magnetic couple slip-up