Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

I'm on PEP. Was it necessary
Mar 10, 2011

Dr. Bob. One day you will win a global prize for the man you are! Finally got my wake up call. Hard way to learn. Vaginal sex with women of unknown status. Condom fell off when I was inside her (2-3 min). Ran to the Health Dept and got 30 days Truvada and Kaletra 16 hours later. Do you feel I am a high risk??

Health Department was hesitant to give me PEP but I insisted. They said my risk was low because I was the inserter, hetero male and my penis skin was intact. Are they on target?

How well is the urethra intact/protected?

How effective is PEP? Really scared. Thanks Dr. Bob. I owe you.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Condom failure (or improper use) has the same risk as unprotected sex. Consequently you do have some degree of risk for STDs, including HIV. PEP may be considered in situations such as these, particularly if the unknown-status partner was considered to be at high risk for infection (sex worker, intravenous drug user). As I don't know any details about your gal-pal, I can't really advise whether PEP should have been recommended or just offered. Considering the Health Department was "hesitant" to prescribe PEP, I would assume your risk was not "high."

Whether HIV transmission will occur after an exposure depends on many factors involving both the virus (viral strain, viral load, etc.) and the host (immune integrity, concurrent infections, local trauma, etc.)

PEP will significantly decrease the risk for transmission; however, PEP is not 100% effective.

You can read much more about the issues mentioned above in the archives. As you can probably imagine, I've addressed many similar questions in the past. Have a look.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Syphilis and HIV Infection
Next
Re: Long Term PEP Side Effects + Donation

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.