Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

am I infected, cause for concern.
Mar 9, 2011

I had all the symptoms of ars 2 weeks after an extremely high risk unprotected anal assult, (i think the attacked to have hiv however i was unconscious). Most of the symptoms went away but i have felt like my immune system is low ever since. I very slowly started to feel better but i got sick again and again.

testing: pcr dna at 27 days (negative) 28 day antibody oraquick (negative) 29 day blood antibody test (negative) 6 week antibody (negative) 8 week antibody (negative) 8 week CBC: wbc 4.6, lymphs 1.5 (obviously low)

My question is , do people get better and have wbc's go up after antibody or in reaction to antibody production? I think my body is finally getting over the sickness and low wbc and my next test will be Positive.

Thanks, Doctor Franscino!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Sorry to hear about your sexual assault. That you have tested PCR DNA undetectable at day 27 and have had negative HIV-antibody tests out to eight weeks is extremely encouraging. The vast majority of folks who are HIV infected will have detectable levels of anti-HIV antibodies in their blood within four to six weeks of primary infection. (They will also have detectable HIV PCR DNA by day 27, although we don't use the test for routine HIV-diagnostic screening.)

Your concerns about your WBC count and lymphocyte levels on your recent CBC are unwarranted and do not in any way suggest you will subsequently test HIV positive.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Pregnant with Meia Abbott reactive and western blot indeterminate! Please help, I'm freaking out! (PREGNANCY AND INDETERMINATE HIV TEST, 2011)
Next
3 std ,what about HIV

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.