Lubrication

Hi Dr. Bob,

I hope you had a wonderful vacation. I have a question that I am hoping you can help with. I had to bring my 6 month old daughter to the hospital cause she had an ongoing cough that I wanted to get checked out. As a routine procedure they take her temperature even though she does not have a fever. They take it rectal. They put a plastic cover over the part they insert, and they open individual packs of lubricant. When they took my daughters, there was a pack of lubricant that was already opened and some was gone out of the pack ( used) and she used the rest for my daughter. After she had already used it, I asked if there was any danger of my baby contracting anything, and she said no, it is always new ones that are inserted into the lubricant. Dr. Bob, can you tell me if my daughter is at risk of contracting anything. I am really scared that she would get a diease. I seen a different nurse take the temperature for other babies and she opened a new lubricant each time. Can they really use it a few times being as it is new clean tips that are dipped into the lubricant pack. Thanks for taking the time to respond. I am quite worried about my baby. Please help me. Can she get anything from HIV-Hep B or C.

Thanks Kimberly

Hello Kimberly,

Your fears are unwarranted. Your daughter's risk of contracting HIV or hepatitis from the incident described is nonexistent.

Regarding the vacation, it was indeed "wonderful."

Be well,

Blood transmission and viral load
Please answer, freaking out will donate