Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Lubrication
Mar 8, 2011

Hi Dr. Bob,

I hope you had a wonderful vacation. I have a question that I am hoping you can help with. I had to bring my 6 month old daughter to the hospital cause she had an ongoing cough that I wanted to get checked out. As a routine procedure they take her temperature even though she does not have a fever. They take it rectal. They put a plastic cover over the part they insert, and they open individual packs of lubricant. When they took my daughters, there was a pack of lubricant that was already opened and some was gone out of the pack ( used) and she used the rest for my daughter. After she had already used it, I asked if there was any danger of my baby contracting anything, and she said no, it is always new ones that are inserted into the lubricant. Dr. Bob, can you tell me if my daughter is at risk of contracting anything. I am really scared that she would get a diease. I seen a different nurse take the temperature for other babies and she opened a new lubricant each time. Can they really use it a few times being as it is new clean tips that are dipped into the lubricant pack. Thanks for taking the time to respond. I am quite worried about my baby. Please help me. Can she get anything from HIV-Hep B or C.

Thanks Kimberly

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Kimberly,

Your fears are unwarranted. Your daughter's risk of contracting HIV or hepatitis from the incident described is nonexistent.

Regarding the vacation, it was indeed "wonderful."

Be well,

Dr. Bob

Previous
Blood transmission and viral load
Next
Please answer, freaking out will donate

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.