What is the risk of transmission through BREAST? -Sex while Breastfeeding infant-

Hello, I am writing to see if there is any news about this issue. I sort of tryed getting the answer in the CDC and I read of a case that a baby HIV pos. in africa infected the mom. Is this common? I am currently breastfeeding my 10mos old baby -dad is HIV pos. I am negative. We found out he was positive when I was 6 wks pregnant and have tested negative all the time. We have stop sex eversince our baby was born because of being scared of the risk of transmission. Please help us by answering. This is a big deal for us. Thank you very much.

An HIV-positive baby infecting an HIV-negative mother through breastfeeding? No, this is certainly not common, and in fact, the only way it is even theoretically possible is if the negative woman was breastfeeding someone else's HIV-infected baby and the baby had fresh HIV-tainted blood in its mouth while sucking.

If you are confirmed to be HIV negative (tested HIV-antibody negative six months or longer after your last unprotected sexual exposure to your HIV-positive husband), there is no way your baby could be HIV infected! Infants can only be infected by HIV-infected mothers. (The dad would have had to infect the mom for the mom to pass the infection to her infant.)

Hope that helps clarify the situation. You and your virally enhanced hubby should review the information in the chapter in the archives of this forum dedicated to magnetic couples. You may want to consider implementing some of the harm-reduction strategies discussed there.

Be well.

Recent event.
Known failures of Pep with Tenofovir, 3TC, AZT