Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV THROUGH BREAST MILK
Mar 5, 2011

Hi

Sucking boobs milk can get hiv,few drops of its had gone in mouth may be 2-5ml, i think it was 6-7 year back,please reply

Thank you

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

You're worried about a few drops of ingested breast milk from six or seven years ago? Gosh, I can hardly remember what I had for breakfast yesterday and you're fixated on two to five milliliters of boob juice? Relax mate. Small quantities of breast milk are not considered a risk for HIV transmission in adults. See below. Also, if you were worried for the past seven years, why didn't you just get an HIV-antibody test? Results of HIV rapid tests are available within minutes!

Your worries are unwarranted and your longstanding fears were totally unnecessary, even if you had had a more significant exposure, as testing is readily available!

Dr. Bob

DOC PLEASE I AM REALLY WORRIED NOW!!! (BREAST MILK, 2010) Jul 30, 2010

I am still far away from the preferred testing time when it comes to the window period. I have been searching the internet for countless weeks now in regard to breast milk transmission in adults. I've read almost every question you have answered on it and you say it's no risk but then I come across other doctors such as this guy: http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/Women/Archive/Pregnancy/Q144237.html who says it is! I contacted someone on the online chat feature from the CDCNPIN (I guess the CDC's national prevention information network) and explained my situation to them and when they said "it is high risk" I told them about what I've read from your site and others and they told me "Well it is true that ingesting HIV is not a means of transmission, but in the case of something getting into your mouth it deals with the mucus membranes." After carefully going through the archives again, I have found nothing that mentions breast milk and mucus membranes and I am seriously going crazy over here... please doctor, answer my question so that I can be pointed in the right direction because I still have 9 more weeks in order to get a conclusive HIV test result and I don't know how I am going to make it and a few words from you can really help... please get back to me I'll donate and do whatever just please get back to me!!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

OK, here's the scoop! Breast milk from a lactating HIV-positive woman does contain HIV; however, ingesting small amounts of HIV-tainted breast milk does not pose a significant threat of infection to adults. It is, however, a viable means of HIV transmission to infants due to a number of factors, including the infants' immature immune systems and the quantity of milk ingested compared to the size of the infant. I have never seen a documented case of an adult contracting HIV from breast milk. As always if you feel you've placed yourself at risk for HIV, you should get an HIV test at the three-month mark. If you have difficulty with anxiety during the window period, see your doctor for anti-anxiety medication and counseling if needed. Thanks for your interested in donating to The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). In return I'm sending my good-luck karma that your definitive three-month test will be negative. (I'm very confident it indeed will be negative!) Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
I asked a couple mins ago about massage parlour (ID stupid when drunk)
Next
will I get AIDS? (PANTIES 2011) (PANTY PARANOIA, 2011)

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.