Just diagnosed

Hi - I'm 25 years old and have just been told yesterday I tested positive.

I'm really confused on how I should be feeling. Im a little shakey and upset but Im not feeling awful. I don't know weather it's just not sunk in, I dont realise the seriousness of the siutation, I'm dead inside, or Im on shock.

I was told that my infection is fairly recent, now Im booked in with a specialist tomorrow but how coould they tell how recent an infection is from a DUO Elisa test?

Im trying to work out how long I ve possibly been infected. I may have put my ex partner at risk who I still care for very much as a friend, and it would destroy me to think I ve infected him. We have arranged a fast test for him tomorrow, I just cant stop thinking about it.

Thank you

Ollie

Hello Ollie,

Routine ELISA tests cannot determine how recent an infection might be. The HIV specialist you're scheduled to see will discuss this further with you. Ollie, a period of adjustment to your new reality as "virally enhanced" is to be expected. In addition to seeing an HIV specialist physician, I would suggest you learn more about HIV, HIV monitoring tests and treatment options. There is a wealth of information on this site, in the archives and on the related links. Begin with the section entitled "Just Diagnosed" on The Body's homepage.

Good luck. I'm here if you need me, OK?

paranoid, mad or justifiably worried?
Testing after PEP - Peculiar concerns (HEPATITIS C AND DELAYED HIV SEROCONVERSION, 2011) (APTIMA - HIV-1 RNA QUALITATIVE ASSAY, 2011) (p24 ANTIGEN TESTING, 2011)