Why are so many people switching from HIV regimes when they have been stable for years.

I understand that many people are switching from their current HIV regimes that have stabilized the HIV immune response and viral load. I hear reasons like side effects that recently came up after years. I am on a Kaletra/Truvada regime and have been undetectable for years. My doctor recently asked me if I wanted to switch to a more convenient and patient friendly regime of Prezista/Isentress. Should I be concerned that there are no new classes of drugs coming out in the future and that what we have today to treat HIV is likely what we will have in five years give or take a few combination pills. and shouldn't I try and stay on a regime that is working well with occasional side effects instead of switching for the sake of switching? Thanks for your advice. This is a debate that several of my friends have on a weekly basis.

There is certainly an argument for the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" rational for not switching, especially if you are not having any difficulties with side effects/toxicities or adherence to your current regimen.

Your physician is just offering you a more convenient regimen that is at least as effective as your current regimen. Switching from one effective regimen (undetectable viral load) to another is not considered risky. Nor does switching mean you could not return to your previous regimen sometime in the future (assuming drug resistance hasn't developed in the interim).

The choice is yours!

last question
Re: Baseline HIV Testing before giving PEP? (PEP AND THE NEED FOR HIV SPECIALIST, 2011)