Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Dr. Bob you are the best. Happy Valentines Day.

Feb 10, 2011

Dr. Bob, I am very much worried after i read about prednisone and it effects on the HIV antibody test.

I took Prednisone while i was young (25 years ago) for treatment of my leprosy along with some other antibiotics like Dapsone etc, i took these prednisone and dapsone and an other antibiotic which i dont remember everyday for about 3 years.

I had an unprotected sex 15 months back with a high risk partner, i had an HIV antibody test done for HIV 1/2 and some other STD antibody tests.

I also used analpram in the anal area for skin tags on the anus, and i also use Desonate gel for irregularities in my scalp on and off, these two medications(analpram and desonate) i use them regularly for the past couple of years even use them presently also.

Can i believe my HIV antibody test and the STD antibody test results?

Should i get PCR tests for HIV and the other STD's, because of the prednisone i took, 25 years back. I took the medicine prednisone and dapsone regulary for three years (25 years back). Will my childhood medication affect my HIV antibody test result?

Please advise me, very much worried, not sure if i want to go ahead and have sex with my wife, because we are planning for a baby.

You are a great person, and i will send you a donation for the RF foundation. Thanks!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Happy V.D. to you too. Hmm. Maybe "V.D." is not the wisest abbreviation to use in a forum devoted to sexually transmitted diseases (Venereal Diseases!)!!!

Your fears about prednisone, dapsone and other mediations taken 25 years ago are completely unwarranted. Medications taken decades ago will not have an effect on HIV-antibody tests now! Frevinsakes!

Your use of Analpram and Desonate gel will not affect HIV test results. Your STD results, including your HIV-antibody test, are definitive and conclusive. HIV is not your problem. No way. No how. No further HIV tests are warranted. In particular HIV PCR testing is not warranted.

Thank you for your support of The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). It's warmly appreciated. Good luck with your baby-making plans!

Dr. Bob

Previous
Oral Sex (m2m) - Woo hoo!!
Next
Dont want to be the first to get hiv from analingus

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.