Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Unsure of results, please advise
Feb 8, 2011

Hi Dr. Frascino,

First, I admire everything you have/are doing to help people with HIV/AIDS or in doubts.

To summarize, I had a sexual encounter with a sex worker back in March 2, 2010 (it's forever etched in my mind now as the most regrettable, dumb moment of my life). We opted for mutual masturbation and at one point she put her vagina on my mouth and I licked for a few seconds. I also sucked on her breasts. I recall having dry mouth right before and had used a mouth wash. I may have had a small cut on my tongue from eating crabs earlier that day.

Fast forward a month, I had two consecutive canker sores inside my mouth. Red bumps appearing at the edge of my lips (suddenly come and go type).

At the two month mark a strong sore throat, flue like symptoms which my doctor diagnosed as a chest infection and gave antibiotics.

Third month and after the chest infection episode, I constantly had aching muscles/joint ache and fatigue. Grows towards the end of work day and OK by morning. And very heavy night sweats during this time where I would be drenched.

At the 87 day mark, When I got what we believed was a really bad stomach flue and went to the doctor, I had blood drawn and tested for all STD's. The results came all negative including HIV.

But since then I've had small canker sores on and off, two major ones which of course leads to doubts about am I one of those select few who have to wait for 6 month test. Not to mention considering (and pondering) how I have destroyed my life and my fiancees life with this one dump mistake. I would appreciate any advise you can give in this matter. Also, would having a history of diabetes in the family affect my results (although the doctor tested my urine at the same time he took blood and said I did not test for diabetes). My ethnicity is south asian and I was 26 when this all started. I live in the U.S.

I have donated to your cause before and will continue doing so. Your hard work and perseverance is very inspiring. Thank you!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Your HIV-acquisition risk from the activities you describe is negligible at best. Your negative 87-day HIV test is definitive, conclusive and WOO-HOO-able. Your symptoms and their timeline are not suggestive of or consistent with HIV acute retroviral syndrome (ARS). A family history of diabetes would not affect the accuracy or validity of your HIV test result.

You should be WOO-HOO-ing, not worrying. HIV is not your problem. No way. No how. No additional HIV testing is warranted. Should you choose to get a six-month test, the result would undoubtedly be negative.

Thank you for your support of The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). It's warmly appreciated. In return I'm sending you my good-luck/good-health karma that you are now and will forever be HIV free!

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Confused and worried individual
Next
Thank You Words - Nigerian Student 2011

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.