Celiac Disease and HIV
Feb 8, 2011
In 2006, after a night of drinking on a business trip, I met up with a couple and returned to my hotel room with them. Based on my understanding of risk, there was not particularly risky behavior. A condom was used and no ejaculation (I was the bottom). Just shy of 12 weeks later, I experienced a severe sore throat, went to the doctor and while there became violently sick to my stomach a number of times. The symptoms subsided over the next day or so with the help of a suppository. Didn't think much about this as possible ARS, particularly due to the length of time elapsed since that night. During the next couple of years, had increasing GI, neurologic and dermotologic issues. Finally diagnosed with Celiac Disease two years ago. The GI and neurologic issues have improved on a strict GF diet. The dermatologic issues continue (it is not DH-more like allergic welts that come and go within two days-ichy, isolated, not rash like--also have had a wart and impetigo) so it has me wondering again if I could be positive. I have had extensive blood work due to Celiac Disease and my WBC is generally about 4.1-4.7 with abs lymph about 1.7. My last test the abs lymph was down to 1.6. Two of my children have CD and nearly identical WBC-told it is normally low due to the autoimmune condition. I am becoming more anxious due to the dermatologic issues. I am in good physical shape, exercise rigorously daily and take care of myself. The incident I described was isolated in nature. I am happily married but made a mistake. Your thoughts?
Response from Dr. Frascino
My thoughts? I have three main ones:
1. If you were worried about a potential HIV exposure, why not just get HIV tested? The results of a rapid HIV test are available in just a few short minutes. (It probably took you longer to type this question than it would have to get a rapid HIV test!)
2. Your dermatologic issues are not suggestive of or worrisome for HIV disease.
3. If agree with your "understandings": your behavior was not risky and your onset of symptoms was too delayed to be related to HIV acute retroviral syndrome (ARS).
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Is Flaky Skin An Acute Symptom Of HIV?
- Muscle Ache Sign Of Seroconversion
- Groin Pain After Barebacking Worried I Have HIV
- Headache After Unprotected Anal Sex Worried I Have HIV
- Itchy Red Spots After Genital Rubbing Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Painful Red Spots After Anal Sex Without Condom Does It Mean I Have HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.