Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Nano-Bees, Cancer treatment and HIV
Feb 6, 2011

Hi Dr Bob. I just finished reading your article about 20 years with HIV and just happened to watch the PBS special "Making Stuff:Making Stuff Smaller" linked here: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/tech/making-stuff.html

In a segment of the program it talks about using nano-particles that encapsulate bee venom to "sting" cancer cells. The nano-particles (nano-bees) are specially coded to only attack cells with specific surface protiens. This allows the nano-bees to only sting/bind to cancer cells and the bee venom that they hold is released onto the cancer cell to kill it. From the program it sounded like the nano-bees could be coded for a variety of cancer types and they are hoping to move this into climical trials in the next year or so. My understanding is that when HIV infects cells it leaves behind a marker or otherwise alters cells that it infects. Going off this assumption, it would seem reasonable that these nano-bees could be programmed to focus in on HIV infected cells through this structural change. My question for you, is do you believe that this is a potential way to attack active or dormant HIV infected cells or potentially HIV itself?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Well, it's a theoretical way to attack infected cells. However, nano-technology is still in its early stages of research and development as a possible treatment for any disease. I'll keep you posted if the noon-bee (or nano-rhinoceros, for that matter) story evolves as an HIV-treatment modality.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Dont want to be the first to get hiv from analingus
Next
Understanding risk levels (SAFER SEX GUIDELINES, SAFER SEX METHODS, 2011)

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.