The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Aussie going hopping mad

Feb 6, 2011

ha doctor, i had a sex at a legal brothel in melbourne around two weeks back. We had sex twice both time protected. Since then i have had a temperature that has since gone away (lasted a day or two), and stomach aches and general aches and pains as well as lethagy and headache. I know that protected sex makes it nearly imposible to get hiv unless the rain coat breaks. Do i have a risk and do i need testing. Im prety sure i havent caught HIV. Please help. My doctor said that i probably caught a minor virus. thoughts?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi Hopping Mad Aussie,

Relax Max! Protected sex is indeed "protected." That's why we call it "protected." Clever, eh? This, of course, assumes the latex condoms were used properly and did not break. I agree with your doctor. If you remain worried, despite my reassurance, get a single HIV test at the three-month mark. The results will undoubtedly be negative, but if it keeps you from hopping around like a crazed kangaroo, it may well be worth the time and effort psychologically.

By the way, I'm headed to Oz next week via New Zealand. And before you ask, no, I won't be making any house calls, but you might find me surfing at one of Sydney's beaches. (I'll be the guy being pulled out of the water by the life saver.)

Dr. Bob

Known HIV Exp. Testing Post PEP
Please help raise mental health awareness

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint