Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

36 year old heterosexual female with uncertain husband
Feb 3, 2011

I was married to my husband for 7 years. During that time he had some questional practices. Anyways, in July 2010, I have a full STD panel and my HIV ELISA and Western Blot came back positive. My physician was in disbelief and ordered a repeat of my tests. I have had 6 negative ELISA tests over the past 7 months. Can I Woo-hoo yet? And how do you explain the postive western blot 7 months ago? I did receive the gardasil injection approx 1 month prior.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

See below. By the way, some vaccinations can cause false-positive HIV-antibody test results due to the production of cross-reacting antibodies. Whether your Gardasil was the cause of your false-positive result would be difficult to determine, but it's at least a consideration. The important point is that you are definitively HIV negative, OK?

Dr. Bob

positive hiv test, now 6 negative tests Feb 3, 2011

After 7 years of marriage, I discovered my husband had been unfaithful. 7 months ago I went and got "all STD" testing. Everything was negative except I had a + HIV elisa and western blot. The following 2 days I was retested again and was negative. Since that initial positive test I have had 6 negatives the last of which was 7 months after the inital first "positive" one. Just confused how this could have happened. Obviously my world has been rocked with this.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Your first test is a "false positive." There are a number of reasons for false-positive HIV-antibody tests, including technical or clerical errors and nonspecific cross-reacting antibodies. In your case it was most likely a laboratory or clerical error, because you tested HIV-antibody negative two days later and have had a total of six subsequent negative HIV-antibody tests out to seven months. Your results demonstrate that you are conclusively and definitively HIV negative. HIV is not your problem. No way. No how. No additional HIV testing is warranted.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Do x-rays affect hiv test result?
Next
Clearview complete or stat pak accuracy and a donation

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.