Aging and HIV

Read your blog on this topic. Anything new to report on getting old? Advanced aging? HIV sure knows how to hurt a guy. By the way what's the latest, is it the virus or is it the drugs that's forcing us into old folks homes in the prime of our lives? Thanks Dr. Bob (by the way you don't look old in your pic!)

The accelerated aging story is evolving. Recent reports suggest mutations in the mitochondrial DNA (this is the powerhouse of every cell) might be the culprit at the cellular level for the accelerated aging problems seen in HIVers.

Some evidence suggests that cumulative exposure to HIV nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitors (like d4T, AZT, etc.) is associated with irreversible damage to the mitochondria that is nearly identical to the damage seen in "ordinary" aging. Other data indicates that not only the length of time on HIV meds but also lowest CD4 count predict the early onset of aging-related complications. Should these reports be substantiated, we may finally have enough insight into this vexing problem to begin a search for a treatment to repair the damage and slow the aging process back to normal. Of course by the time this occurs, many of us may well already be old via "ordinary" aging! Thanks for the compliment on my picture.

Be well. And as my father often says, "don't get old!"

why didnt you answer my question?will donate
upset stomach, swollen lymph nodes, fever