re. Poz man wants a baby

Thanks for answering and confirming what I thought. Yes it would be easier to have my partner to be the donor, much easier, but we are a mixed Asian / White couple and he wants a mixed baby, not a total asian baby, so yes we could go for a white egg donor in a thai surrogate. The other question linked to my donating sperm is that they say there is less change of infections the lower the viral load. At present I am not on medicine, but if I went onto Anti-viral it could reduce my VL to reduce the chances, am I right about this? Again many thanks.

James

Hi James,

You are absolutely correct. HIV-transmission risk is significantly decreased when the plasma HIV viral load has been driven to undetectable levels with combination antiretroviral therapy.

How to have a baby/ Poz man, no woman.. Jan 31, 2011

Hi my partner (male) and I want to start a family. I am positive, he is negative but he wants to use my sperm. We have researched about sperm washing and found a place. However how can we find a surrogate or use a friend when it is not totally safe. We would hate to infect someone else and I think using a positive surrogate would endanger the babies life. Are there any options available to use. I am not on meds, so my CD4 is 600 and VL is 40,000. Any advice would be SO welcome.

James

Hello James,

You've correctly outlined the problem. Although the HIV-transmission risk could be reduced to exceedingly low levels with techniques involving sperm washing and use of combination antiretroviral therapy, the HIV-transmission risk would not be completely eliminated. Why not have your partner be the sperm donor?

HIV or something else...
why didnt you answer my question?will donate