Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV or something else...
Feb 1, 2011

Hi, Please advice on the following topic. A few days after a risky contact with me appeared the following symptoms: - dyspnea - headaches and state feverishness - sore throat - headache, muscular legs and around the liver - pain in the armpits (without palpable nodes) Results in the morphology of the standards (slightly elevated hemoglobin and hematocrit) ASAT ALAT 90 50 This condition lasts longer than 20 weeks, with variable intensity and a tendency to improve. Doctors do not have too much on my idea: EBV, CMV.Hbs, HCV negative here my question arises whether this can be infected with HIV? Let me add that I made in this direction DUO QUICK three tests in five weeks 12 and 20 weeks all negative. Is it possible that the test after 20 weeks is unbelievable ? Are my tests are definitive, and look for other causes or repeat?

THANK YOU AND I WILL DONATE OF COURSE!!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Your repeatedly negative HIV-antibody tests out to 20 weeks are definitive and conclusive. HIV is not your problem. No way. No how. No additional HIV tests are warranted.

Symptoms are notoriously unreliable in predicting who is and is not HIV infected. Rely on your test results. A negative HIV-antibody test taken outside the window period trumps symptoms each and every time. I should also point out that symptoms associated with HIV acute retroviral syndrome (ARS) generally manifest two to three weeks after primary infection, not "days."

Thanks for your support of The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). It's warmly welcomed.

Be well. Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
dark days,worried,please help me by answering.
Next
re. Poz man wants a baby

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.