Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Anal fingering risk...Pls help, will donate...
Jan 31, 2011

Sir - I am in a very troubled condition can you please help. I will donate to your organization. I had exposure early last month when someone fingered my anus. After 6 weeks, my HIV antibody test came negative. But I have these symptoms: 2 weeks after exposure, I had a sore throat and my tongue felt heavy and my voice used to go down in the evening. Docs tested it as strep throat and gave me antibiotics which I took for 10 days...with the problems subsiding for the most part in a week but the on and off feeling of numbness on the sides of my tongue continues and an on and off roughness of the hard palate. I started losing weight 3 weeks after exposure and in the last 4 weeks have lost 8 lbs. I have frequent bowel movement and felt chilly and feverish on and off over the last 4 days though the temp never is above 98 F. Also for the last 4 weeks, I am belching every time I eat anything. The belching starts immediately after eating. Also my stomach is growling every now and then and I feel I am hungry.

Also some nights I sleep, some I don't, and I am waking up early. I take high blood pressure medicine but over the last one month my BP is lower than usual. I have no headache or body ache (was inflicted by these persistantly) and I feel very sturdy when I am driving, more than I felt in the last couple of years.

Please help, I am going crazy...are these pointing to HIV. Do I do the PCR RNA test now?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Fingering is not considered an HIV-acquisition risk, assuming the skin on the fingering fingers was intact.

Symptoms are notoriously unreliable in predicting who is and is not HIV infected. Your particular symptoms are not suggestive of HIV acute retroviral syndrome (ARS). Rather, they are most consistent with anxiety.

A six-week negative HIV test is very encouraging, but not yet conclusive. For that you'll need to retest at the three-month mark. HIV PCR RNA testing is not warranted.

Thanks for your support of The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). It's very much appreciated. In return I'm sending my good-luck karma that your definitive three-month test remains negative. I'm confident it indeed will be negative.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Anal fissure, hot tub and HIV
Next
Serodiscodant couple trying to get pregnant

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.