RE. Any chance Doctor knows?

Dear Dr Bob. I took your advice and changed my Gp he said it is impossible to have hiv and have antibody tests performed at 17, 64, 86, 210, days all neg plus throw in the fact the girl involved had a 3 month neg.The Doctor said no way it would miss a infection in this situation in Australia with the tests used today. I have not had another exposure since the event 14 months ago starting to feel a bit better but still a bit worried. 1.Had Puemonia since my 210 day neg and three tiny molloscum bumps on my inner thigh and the fact they are still their 14 months latter has me worried.They should have gone right? 2.Hands were going numb at night for months after event have since gone but get burning in one fingertip on one hand maybe for one day a week.Could this be pn? 3.RA levels rising from 15 to 17 concerns me because my family has no history of this.Would hiv cause this or could any other virus? 4.I read in the archives that it has been many years since you have seen a 3 month neg turn poz later.I keep telling myself it must be impossible for a 7 month neg to turn poz latter with no other exposure plus the fact the girl involved had a 3 month neg.Is it still possible to have hiv in your opinion? Tanks for your time Dr Bob. Have a great time when your in Australia all the best your Aussie mate.

Hello Aussie Mate,

Still worried about HIV??? Mate, I absolutely agree with your new, more competent, GP. HIV is not your problem. No way. No how. No additional HIV tests are warranted. I just can't say it any more straightforwardly than that.

Regarding your specific questions:

1. No. Most cases of molluscum contagiosum have nothing to do with HIV. A dermatologist can get rid of your bumps if you so desire. (They may not even be molluscum.)

2. Nope. Not a chance.

3. No. This is not HIV related (as I have already told you). See below.

4. No, absolutely not. If you continue to doubt the overwhelming and irrefutable evidence of your HIV-negative status, I would recommend you seek psychotherapy (counseling). This may help you confront and conquer your completely irrational and totally unwarranted fears of HIV.

Any chance my Doctor knows ? Nov 15, 2010

Dear Dr Bob. I know you told me to Whoo HOO after my 4 antibody tests out to 210 days but i went to see my GP yesterday because i still molloscum on inner thighs, dry cough, purple blotch on nose,tingling fingers that go numb at night,ra levels rising,and purple dot appears on lip for two or three days then disappears.All this plus have had Pnuemonia in last 12 months since unprotected sex with female.I have since found the female involved and told her about my Ars type symtoms that started 14 days after.She said she had cystis at the same timeframe and had hiv test then and one 3 months later both negative when l told my Gp about this he said there still could be a chance i could be infected and wants me to test again i thought this was all over. What are your thoughts Dr.Bob is there any even slight chance i want to get on with my life. Thanks for your help. Cheers confused Aussie.

Hello Confused Aussie,

I do not agree with your GP. Your repeatedly negative HIV-antibody tests out to 210 days are definitive, conclusive and WOO-HOO-able. If we assume your wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am gal-pal is telling the truth and she had HIV tests around the time of your hookup plus again three months later, both of which were negative, this lends additional credence to HIV not being your problem!

There are many potential non-HIV-related causes for your various symptoms. You don't need additional HIV tests, but you certainly could use a more competent GP! Should you choose to test again, I'm absolutely confident the results will once again be negative.

Don't be confused and don't let an uninformed GP spoil (or delay) your WOO-HOO-ing!

Cheers mate.

Please answer I will donate.(Will match last one) Jul 18, 2010

Dear Dr Bob Since our last contact on July 3rd and my 210 day neg test and your WHOO-HOO I felt good about things. Then bang out of nowhere I came down with bacterial pnemonia, coughing up a little blood. Taken antibiotics feeling better but it was only 6 months since last lung infection. 1. Does this make you a bit less certain about my status? 2. Forgot to tell you i was diagnosed with Pre-Diabetes 12 weeks after unprotected sex only to be retested at 7 months only to be given all clear. Can this happen to people with hiv? 3. My partner wants to have a baby, I have been wearing condoms since event trying to protect her. Is it ok to let them roam again? Thanks for your help Dr.Bob.

Absolutely not.

Completely unrelated.

Absolutely!

You're welcome.

Please answer and l will donate Jul 3, 2010

Dear Dr. Bob

I was a fit young male from Australia until l had unprotected vaginal sex with a unknown person 8 months ago 12 days after l had jock itch, fever and most ars symptoms. Had 4 antibody hiv tests 1st one at 17 days, then 64 days, 86 days and 210 days. Most symptoms left after 4 months some still persist. Had lung infection diagnosed by ct scan was treated with antibiotics but still tight in back and cough up clear and white phlegm. 1. could this be due to pcp in ars? 2.Three weeks after event and still continues numb hands at night, burning finger tips on one hand,tingling thighs and calf muscles, as well as white dots on hands that come and go on palms of hands could this be Pn? 3.I was tested for Rhuematoid arthritis and levels have gone from 15 to 17 in last 2 months. Can hiv trigger Ra? 4.Do you think l could have hiv and would you test again if you were me? 5.Is it possible to test positive for hiv after 6 months these days? Thanks very much Dr.Bob

1. Nope.

2. Nope.

3. HIV can be associated with various rheumatic complaints and conditions; however, this is not your problem, because you do not have HIV!

4. Nope! Your repeatedly negative HIV tests out to 210 days are definitive, conclusive and WOO-HOO-able.

5. Not without extremely unlikely extenuating circumstances. These certainly would not apply to your situation.

Be well. Stop worrying about a disease you could not possibly have!

Dr. Frascino you are special men
Transmission of HIV from dried blood