Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Hello Dr. Bob
Jan 27, 2011

Dr. Bob, I hope you are doing well. I was just reading some of the archives & found out that you were HIV positive. 1)If you dont mind me asking of how you acquired the infection. As you knw there is a lot of debate about the effectiveness of ccondoms in preventing HIV transmission. 2) I am a 30 y/o man, & have had heterosexual protected sexual enciunters with random women over the last 2-3 months, whos HIV satus was unknown to me, although they claimed to getting tested every 6months, free of STDs & keen on using condoms. I have had acute on chronic sinus infection/flu since early November & one episode of acute tosillitis with fevers & chills in late December. Also, there has been a lot of malaise post sinusitis in November. I feel a lot sleepy these days, & have lost arond 2-3 lbs X 2-3 months. The wt loss though has been there since October when I wasnt engaging in sex. I do also have so joint aches & rt thigh muscle tenderness since 2-3 months. I had an HIV antibody test in Mid December that was negative. I was concerned this all might be due to HIV?? 3) Also do we need to change a condom after oral sex before inserting it in vagina?? I never did so!! Would that count as improper us eof condom?? I checked my condoms post acts with water & they were intact.. Please help me out with the queries. Thanks, donation coming your way! Jay

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Jay,

1. I sustained a hollow-bore needle stick and laceration while performing a medical procedure on a patient with advanced-stage AIDS in January 1991. You can read more about this in the archival chapter devoted titled "About Dr. Bob."

2. Extremely unlikely, assuming your protected sex involved the proper use of latex condoms and they did not break.

3. Yes, it's a good idea to change condoms whenever changing penetration sites, primarily to avoid transmitting germs from one site to another. For instance, having anal sex and then proceeding on to vaginal sex could cause vaginal problems. Changing condoms when changing penetration sites helps protect the receptive partner. This does not involve condom failure or risk of STD/HIV to the insertive partner.

Thanks for your support of The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). You can read much more about HIV sexual prevention and proper condom use in the archives of this forum. Have a look.

Be well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Post-nPEP testing, do I need more?
Next
regarding the validity of dna -pcr antigen test.

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.