My partner has HIV and just told me

My partner just told me that he is HIV positive. We have been together for several years. He cheated on me and got HIV. We got tested around the same time. My results came back that I was negative. I was wondering what are the chances that I could get infected and what should i do next?

Sorry to hear about your partner's extracurricular (and unsafe) activities and his recent HIV diagnosis. If you had unprotected sex with your partner, you, too, are at risk of acquiring HIV. The level of risk would depend on many variables, including type of sexual activity (unprotected receptive anal sex is the most risky), frequency of unprotected encounters, viral strain, viral load, concurrent STDs, local trauma, etc. That you tested HIV negative recently is encouraging. You will need repeat HIV antibody testing at the three- and six-month marks from the date of last exposure. Both you and your partner should read through the information in the chapter on magnetic couples in the archives of this forum.

Good luck to you both.

I've already lost family members to AIDS ,will donate $300
re scared straight